Summer: the season of picnics, barbecues, holidays and road trips. This summer, the promise of a return to normality most of us excited about getting packed up for all kinds of adventure.
Winter gets most of the attention for dangerous driving conditions, but summer has it’s own set of often-overlooked hazards.
Here are a few key things to be aware of when driving this summer:
1. Stay hydrated
Loughborough University found in a study that dehydrated drivers make the same number of mistakes as drink-drivers. On the one hand, reaching for a bottle can be a hazardous distraction. On the other, we should absolutely make sure we have fluid on hand if we need it. Stopping regularly is best practice: this will give you the best opportunities to refresh and recharge without distracting.
2. Be careful with medications
3. Sleepiness (and jet lag)
4. Summer road conditions
5. Check your vehicle
• Petrol/Power – Preparation is key: Don’t risk leaving it until the last minute to top-up or charge
• Water – Including screenwash
• Rubber – Check your tyres thoroughly; higher summer temperatures can increase the risk of a blowout
• Yourself - Don't forget about hydration, medication, intoxication, fatigue, and other factors that can affect your capability
Do you want to maximise road safety for yourself or your drivers? There are a multitude of ways in which IAM RoadSmart can help – come and talk to us at the Safety & Health Expo Connect 2021 and find out what the perfect solution is for you.