Among a sample of 2,000 drivers, insurance firm Cuvva has found that a surprisingly high proportion are intimidated by day to day driving scenarios.
- Driving in snowy conditions (42%)
- Driving in a new town or city (32%)
- Multi-lane carriageways (30%)
- Driving in the dark (27%)
- Driving in wet and rainy conditions (25%)
Almost 1 in 10 drivers reported being nervous turning right at a roundabout, and 1 in 20 fear three-point turns.
The research also confirmed what numerous other studies have reported – that drivers are less confident now than they were before the lockdowns caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. 24% of drivers feel less confident now, with 16% saying they’ve “forgotten” how to drive.
Cuvva CEO, Freddy Macnamara, said: “Our research reveals there are many nervous drivers across the UK, with Londoners and those from Norwich indexing most highly.”
Some other key facts discovered by the study:
- 29% of drivers try to avoid travelling outside of their local area to stay away from unfamiliar roads
- A quarter are reluctant to give other people lifts – even if they are going to the same destination – due to their nerves
- 18% would take a longer route to avoid busy areas
- 16% would go further than needed to stay away from motorways
- 12% would plan their journey to avoid having to parallel park, and 7% would plan in order to avoid either dual carriageways or roundabouts
- Almost 1 in 5 drivers are nervous of long-distance journeys
- 21% are planning their UK summer holidays around the length of the drive
- 36% think their driving has generally worsened over the last 18 months
- 38% wish they were a more confident driver
Lots of people are nervous about situations on the road that many of us find mundane. Many of them may be people who work for your business. Have you thought about what you can do to help? Drivers who spend a lot of their time on the road will face situations like these every day. Comfort, confidence, and competence are essential to keeping drivers safe and happy, and for organisations to protect their people and assets, save money, and make sure they’re abiding by Health and Safety legislation.
IAM RoadSmart can help all kinds of organisations with risk management and driver assessment and training. Contact us and we’ll be delighted to help you find the best solution for your company.